Li-Fi is a wireless optical networking technology that uses lights (light-emitting diodes LEDs) for data transmission.
Li-Fi is designed to transfer files like videos, audios, etc. using LED light bulbs which are similar to those who are currently in use in homes, offices, underground mines, railway stations, etc.
However in Li-Fi bulbs, a chip is inserted that modulates the light and send some algorithms and variations in the light for optical data transmission.
LED bulbs are a kind of source for transferring data and photoreceptor receives this data.
Photoreceptors are the device’s which collect the light, emitted only by Li-Fi’s and change the light modules in electrical impulses or electrical signals, which is then displayed on a screen.
Earlier Li-Fi’s older developmental models were capable of transferring files at 150 megabits-per-second (150 MB/S).
But some of the commercial kits like frequency booster enabled the speed of Li-Fi’s till 10 gigabits-per-second (10 GB/S).
With more stronger LEDs and unique and different technology, scientists have enabled the speed of Li-Fi’s till 20 gigabits-per-second (20 GB/S), which is really faster.
What are the Benefits of Li-Fi:
- It gives higher and more speed than Wi-Fi.
- Li-Fi consists of 10000 times the frequency spectrum of radio.
- It has more security as data can’t be stolen without a clear line of sight.
- Li-Fi prevents piggybacking, hence nobody can steal your network and make use of it.
- It eliminates neighbouring network interference.
- Li-Fi has no effect on radio waves. Which means it is very safe to use in hospitals, aircraft, etc.
- It does not create any interference in sensitive electronics areas like power stations.
Li-Fi’s could enable a greater area of coverage than a single WiFi router. As we know that light can travel very far and in much high speed than radio frequencies of Wi-Fi.
Li-Fi stands for Light Fidelity and is a Visible Light Communications (VLC) system which can run wireless communications.
These communications travel at very high speeds.
The term Li-Fi got its name in 2011 during a TED Talk by Harald Haas who was a professor in the University of Edinburgh.
A new type of Wi-Fi or we can say it Li-Fi, which is base on light is 100 times faster than the best and latest technologies “Wi-Fi” we have now in 2018.
Also, scientists have come up with a new type of Li-Fi that uses infrared light, which has already cracked 40 gigabits-per-second (40 GB/S) of speed in early testing.
The purpose of Li-Fi technology is to provide a high-speed data communication using visible light spectrum. The Healthy Back Institute Customer Love Survey
Paris is largely using this Li-Fi technology in their cities and the reviews about these are amazingly shocking.
Some notable things in Li-Fi:
- Light transfers in form of data.
- Li-Fi uses light as a sender to send wireless data embedded in its beam.
- A Li-Fi enabled device converts the beam of light into an electrical signal.
- The device sends back data using invisible light.